I have always been drawn to abstract painting, and have always wanted to paint landscapes, and rock formations in particular, in abstract form. I have developed an approach in which I draw my real life subject and then continually re-draw it, abstracting further at each stage. The final abstracted drawing forms the basis for my painting – I usually produce a series of paintings which explore different ways to interpret the abstracted subject.
My series for Artspot 2015 is based on the Mermaid Pool at Manly Dam. Although Mermaid Pool has been neglected and abused for many years, it is now being restored and its natural ecosystem encouraged to flourish.
I hope that my paintings communicate my passion for the subjects and engage the viewer with the same enthusiasm with which I approached the painting. At the same time, I aim for my work to be attractive on a purely aesthetic level.
Richard is a Northern Beaches based artist who started drawing and painting after a successful career in the IT industry.
He has undertaken a wide variety of courses and workshops in order to further his artistic practice. Many of these have been at the National Art School with several successful professional artists.
Richard is President of the Art & Soul Collective Inc, an art focussed community group which is based on the Northern Beaches.
He has participated in a number of group exhibitions including:
· Four Now - China Heights Gallery, Surry Hills
· Seven - Mary Place Gallery, Paddington
· POP - Painters Gallery, Mona Vale
· Personal Landscapes - ARCC Gallery, Marrickville
· The Landscape Laid Bare - Fix8 Gallery, Freshwater
· Cycle - Manly Art Festival 2013
· Keeping Company (with the Collection) - Manly Art Gallery & Museum
· Art & Soul Collective Inc exhibitions - Glen Street Theatre
· ArtZpace 2012 & 2014 - Avalon
· Northern. Beaches. Inspired. - Painters Gallery, Manly
· SoulWorks – Warringah Creative Space
· Mermaid Pools – Gallery 4, North Manly